We need your help!
Please join MHPC’s Great Schools for Maine in supporting Governor LePage’s expansion of Customized Learning opportunities for Maine students.
When: 9:00 a.m., Friday, May 17
Where: Room 202, Cross Building, Augusta
What: 3-minute public testimonies (print and bring with you 15-25 copies of your written testimony)
Specific bills of interest:
- Removes 10-school cap on the number of charter schools approved by the Maine Charter School Commission
- Allows colleges and universities to authorize charter schools
- Permits religious schools to accept public dollars
- Broadens customized learning opportunities (public and private options) for kids who are eligible for the free or reduced-price lunch program
- Establishes that a school which does not meet “basic approval” standards must develop and follow a “corrective action plan”
- Allows the Commissioner of Education to help improve all failing schools (not just the ones identified as Title I through No Child Left Behind)
- Gives students who attend schools, which have lost “basic approval” or refuse to follow the steps for “basic approval,” the ability to enroll in another public or private school which meets their needs and interests
Not able to make it to Augusta this Friday?
Even if you are unable to join us in Augusta, we still need you to take action. Please take time to contact your legislator and those on the Education and Cultural Affairs committee by phone or letter.
Together, we will make a difference!